Monday, 18 July 2011

Bubbie Lou's Famous Hot Mustard


Bubbie Lou's Handwritten Hot Mustard Recipe

Mom is the eldest of 3 kids, having 2 younger brothers.  The youngest - my uncle Van -  came in from out West for a visit last week, and I had the pleasure of hosting an impromptu lunch for him this past Friday. 

The week before I finally tried making Mom's famous hot mustard... actually,the recipe originated with HER mom, my Bubbie (grandmother) Louise (aka Bubbie Lou).  So...when we came back from Becca's dance camp recital, I arranged voorsht (salami) and tomato slices on a fresh layer of Bubbie Lou's mustard slathered on fresh multigrain bread...YUMMY!!!  I can't tell you how thrilled I was to hear that I got it right, and it tasted like the hot mustard of yesteryear...

That was always one of my mother's favourite quick fix lunches...so easy and tasty...and she would make a pile of these sandwiches for the first stop on our many childhood family road trips.  Mind you, one graduated to eating the hot mustard sandwiches...the little ones got voorsht and tomatoes with yellow mustard on rye....and the "big kids" and grown ups indulged in the good stuff.

The photo is my mother's recipe card, in her writing.  I could hear her voice directing me as I added the teaspoons of vinegar ("try 2") and boiling water ("maybe 3"). 

Mom's Handwritten Hot Mustard Recipe
So, if you are looking for a sweet and tangy mustard with a spicy aftertaste, this recipe is for you...B'Tayavon and Buon Appetito!