Friday, 25 November 2011

Love those Leftovers!

As I take a stroll down memory lane (via my mother and grandmother's cookbook) I see that I have inherited my passion for reinventing leftovers to produce new and delicious meals. 

In our home "waste" is a four letter word, and I am always up for the challenge of converting last night's dinner into a meal that my family will enjoy over the next day or two.  Mom would do the same...and some of her greatest creations were the simplest to make...her chicken salad being no exception. 

Mom's Chicken Salad recipe emerged during Passover- a particularly challenging 8-day holiday for cooks in our family.  This concoction is a meal unto itself, and is a hit with Becca and me...after all, how many chicken wraps and chicken pot pies can one family eat?

Carol's Chicken Salad
* leftover cooked chicken cut into small bite-size pieces
* approx 1/2 C mayonnaise (or to taste - enough to make the salad creamy)
* cubed cucumber, celery & radishes
* chopped green onion & lettuce
* 1/2 tsp each of paprika, salt, onion powder & garlic powder

Method: mix all the above ingredients and serve.  Chill in fridge until ready to serve.   Like any other mayonnaise-based salad, will keep for 2 days. 

B'Tayavon & Buon Appetito!