Wednesday, 7 December 2011

Spectacular Squash Soup

I grew up in a house of carnivores, where some kind of meat was served at least 4 times a week, and often, Mom would quarter a butternut squash, scoop the seeds, put a dollop of margarine and a couple of shakes of nutmeg in the centre of each one, place them in a Pyrex and bake at 350° for a ½ hour.  While I am not a huge fan of meat, I loved the squash side dish...Yumm!

But...Carlo hates squash.  Needless to say, squash is rarely on the menu in our home.   I savour the rare occasions where squash is served – my mother-in-love makes a lovely pureed squash dish every holiday meal, and I eat tons of it. 

Last New Year’s Eve we attended Carlo’s cousin’s wedding.  It was a fabulous evening of fun, friends, family and fantastic food!  It was an Italian wedding in a lovely hall in Woodbridge, with a 10 course meal.  The starter dish was an incredible squash soup.  Sara went wild for it.  Funny, the last time I had enjoyed squash soup before this wedding was at our friends Tony & Zelia’s wedding 14 years earlier, when I was pregnant with Sara.  I went wild for it then.

So...what is the point of all these stories?  Sara has been asking me to please make her a squash soup.  I tried to make one last summer.  I cannot recall where I got the recipe, but it was thick, like a stoup, and erupted on my arm when I was stirring it – I have the burn scar to prove it!

Fast forward...it is December, and winter is at our door.  Sara has been pining for squash soup, so I added squash to my grocery list, picked up a beautiful butternut squash at No Frills on Sunday, and whipped up a batch of Norene’s Carrot Soup (there is a note on how to substitute squash for carrots) on Monday after work.

Sauteeing the onions and red peppers - boy does our house smell good!

Add broth, squash & potatoes, let simmer for 1/2 hour

Mmmm good!  Better than Campbell's any day!


Yesterday we trekked out to the doctor for our annual flu shots and picked up a beautiful sourdough bread from our local bakery on the way home.   Carlo had the soup warming on the stove, and I put together a chunky Greek salad.  We sat down to dinner, and it hit me – Carlo hates squash.  Oy and vey!!   I looked around our dinner table at my beautiful family, and not a word was being said.  Sara was devouring the soup, Becca was gobbling up the salad (it’s her favourite) and Carlo looked up at me, smiled, and said it was delicious!  The real proof is in the pudding – or in this case, the soup – he went back for seconds! 


I guess Carlo doesn’t hate squash after all!  The recipe can be found in Norene’s Meal-Lean-I-Yumm cookbook, I believe it is page 85 (? - I am nowhere near home as I write this :S), and is so easy.  The only thing I will do differently next time is double the recipe – we haven’t any leftovers for lunch today!

Until next time, I wish you a wonderful day filled with fun, friends and fantastic food!  B’Tayavon and Buon Appetito!