Wednesday, 14 March 2012

CB loves PB ... Cookies, that is!



They say opposites attract, and if you need any proof, look no further than my husband and me.  He's Italian and I am Jewish.  He loves sports and I...well, I don't.  He likes action movies and I love romcoms.  He loves Discovery Channel and I love TLC.  He loves meat and I would be happy to never eat it again.  Actually, that's really where our differences end.




After more than 20 years together, we have meshed into 2 halve of a whole, and the truth is that our differences serve a purpose - we compliment one another.  Carlo LOVES sweets; I don't.  I LOVE baking sweets; he doesn't.  Together, we are the perfect fit - I bake, and he eats!




Recently, a friend from Norene's Kitchen posted a recipe for peanut butter cookies.  Carlo LOVES peanut butter cookies. So, of  course I have been plotzing (exploding with excitement)  to make a batch of these cookies for him!




This past Sunday the timing was finally right.  I managed to spend a quality hour and a half with Mom, Dad and Davie, then had a luxurious stroll through No Frills - you may think I am kidding but I'm not, I love my grocery shopping time and look forward to it - and came home.  Carlo had a beautiful fajita waiting for me, we unloaded and washed everything up and there was still time for me to whip up a batch of cookies. 




I usually ask the kids what cookie they feel like, and alternate between them, but this time I decided that it was Carlo's turn.  So I gathered the ingredients, got myself organized, and then decided to double the recipe so I could freeze a batch of pre-rolled cookies.  If there is one thing I love to do, it is to simplify my life by doubling recipes and freezing half.  Mom taught me this and lived by this rule herself.  It makes sense - the clean up is the same, the increased effort is negligible, but the benefits - well they are obvious!  Easy access to fresh, home cooked/baked treats. 




But, to quote Sophia on Golden Girls, "I digress". The recipe is so easy, and the batter is thick but not too sticky - a pleasure to work with.  I made a couple dozen, and rolled another 5 dozen for freezing.  They were barely out of the oven when Sara came in and tried one - delish!  Then the big test: Carlo.  He LOVED them!  Hurray!  (Otherwise I would have been in big trouble with an extra 5 dozen in the freezer!). 



I want to thank Marion Kaplan for allowing me to share her recipe with my readers. Without further adieu, here is a pictorial step by step of The Making of Marion's Peanut Butter Cookies.




Mix ½ C each of white & brown sugars 


Add ½ C margarine or shortening


Cream sugars and margarine


Add 1 egg & 1 tsp vanilla

Y Mom's Sifter 



First, mix dry ingredients separately,
then blend dry mixture with creamed sugars


Blend ½ C  peanut butter, roll into 1/2 tbsp balls, bake for 10" at 
375° for 10 minutes, cool for 2 minutes and transfer to cooling rack
I always try to double recipes &  freeze a batch
 for freshly -baked cookies on a moment's notice


The finished product - family approved!


Until next time, I wish you a wonderful day filled with family, fun, friends and fantastic food.  B'Tayavon & Buon Appetito!



MARION'S PEANUT BUTTER COOKIES 

INGREDIENTS
  • ½ C shortening or margarine
  • ½ C white sugar
  • ½ C brown sugar                                 
  • 1 egg
  • 1 ½ c. sifted flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • pinch of salt
  • ½ tsp vanilla
  • ½ C smooth peanut butter
  • 12 oz. package peanut butter morsels (optional)


METHOD
  • preheat oven to 375° F
  • spray cookie sheets or line with parchment
  • cream shortening (or margarine) with white & brown sugars at medium speed for approx 3 – 5 minutes
  • Add egg & beat well
  • gradually add sifted flour, baking soda, salt, vanilla and peanut nutter
  • MIX WELL on low speed
  • hand mix peanut butter morsels (optional)
  • batter will be THICK, roll into 1¼” balls by hand (or scoop if desired)
  • flatten each cookie with the tines of a fork
  • bake at 375° for 10 minutes (for chewier version bake at 300° for 15 minutes)
  • cool on cookie sheets for 2 minutes, then remove & cool completely
  • Cookies will be a light golden color with a light brown edge
  • Yields 6 dozen  2” cookies