Monday, 21 January 2013

Roasted Chickpeas - a scrumptious snack that's good for you!


I am always looking for a flavourful, healthy snack that may actually sway me from my first love - salty chips.    Few things tickle my taste buds like a bag of All Dressed Ruffles, but I finally found a contender in these roasted chickpeas.

Sitting in the doctor's office one day last spring I found myself bored and seeking distraction.   I started perusing an issue of  Parents Canada Magazine and came across the most enticing photo of seasoned chickpeas.   I thought this simple recipe would be a perfect fit for our family.  The best part? It called for cumin a delicious, brain-protecting spice.


Lucky for me, the magazine was available for parents to take home, and so I did, following which I whipped up a batch right away.  The girls inhaled them - and before I knew it, they were gone.

In fact, every time I make this snack we finish them right away, so I have started automatically doubling the recipe so we can keep some in the fridge for a quick and easy nosh.

The other night Sara came to my room famished and craving roasted chickpeas.  Happily, she took the magazine downstairs with her and whipped up a batch for her and Rebecca.   It was at that moment I realized I had better post the recipe here, so she has easy access to it without having to search for this magazine, which will undoubtedly get tossed one of these days.

From Parents Canada Magazine, to my family to yours, I hope you enjoy these roasted chickpeas as much as well all do.  B'Tayavon & Buon Appetito!

Roasted Chickpeas (ParentsCanada.com)

Ingredients:

  • 1 - 19 oz can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained well
  • ¼C canola or olive oil
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • 1 tsp coarse salt (or to taste)
  • ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper (OK - I admit, mine is not freshly ground)


Method:
Preheat oven to 400˚F.  In medium bowl combine all ingredients and blend well.  Spread out in a single layer on a parchment-line, rimmed cookie sheet and roast for 20 to 30 minutes, stirring once or twice until golden. Season with extra salt if needed (we never do) and serve immediately.   

*  They are delicious hot, but refrigerate well and taste good at room temperature.  They also reheat nicely.