Friday, 28 June 2013

Louise's Lemon Pie...Isn't it Lovely?


My mother always made wonderful pies, with whole wheat flour, no less!  Her pastry dough was always light and flaky and delicious...the perfect vessel to house her Bubbie Gertie's delicious strawberry rhubarb compote/filling.

I have not been so lucky with pastry dough...it's always hit and miss with me.  One of my regrets is that I never took advantage of the opportunity to learn at my mother's side.  I always figured there was time, and one day I would sit down with her and learn her secrets.  Now...well, it's too late.  

Over the past 2 years of experimenting with family recipes and blogging about Mom and the matriarchs,  and I have grown more confident in my abilities to hold my own in a kitchen.  I have decided that this is the summer when I will finally face my baking nemesis - the pie - head on.  


I decided to start off with a simple pie - (my) Aunt Adele's Lemon Pie.  As far back as I can remember, Carlo has loved lemon meringue pie.  His Aunt Jessie is a wonderful baker who used to make him lemon meringue pies to his heart's content, so there was no need for me to learn.  Truth be told, I was too intimidated to try and bake anything, never dreaming it could measure up to Aunt Jessie's creations.  

Now, I just needed an occasion.  This past weekend we had a farewell dinner for our friends - Joel and Aviva and their son, Ross - who are moving to Calgary tomorrow (gasp!).  I wanted to make it a special meal, and I knew that I would write about it, so I wanted to try a new dessert and feature the recipe in my post.  But time was an issue, as it turns out this was also the weekend of Rebecca's soccer tournament; which meant games on Friday evening, Saturday morning and afternoon, and Sunday morning and afternoon.  In between all that I needed to prepare a "from scratch" meal.  Why "from scratch"?  Because I wanted to and we know that I am stubborn (wink). 

As I flipped through Mom's recipes, I came across "Lemon Pie".  It was perfect!  Carlo loves it, it seems to be a relatively simple recipe (not a lot of time or effort) and who doesn't like Lemon Meringue Pie?  Joel doesn't...I found that out as I served the mini pies!  Luckily I also made a Cherry Cheesecake (thanks for the suggestion Sara!).  

So, on Saturday night, after a long day of soccer (watching and cheering is hard work!), I made 18 mini lemon pies.  




Bubbie Lou's recipe card was not as clear as I would have liked, but I was able to wing it and apparently they were delicious!  Would you believe that I did not even try one?!  Not that I don't like them, I just plain forgot, and before I knew it, they were gone

From my family to yours, I hope you enjoy this recipe for Lemon Pie.  Until my next post, I wish you a wonderful day, filled with family, fun, friends and fantastic food.  B'Tayavon & Buon Appetito!

Bubbie Lou & Aunt Adele's Lemon Pie 

Crust Ingredients:
  • 1¼C graham cracker crumbs
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • ¼C melted butter

Filling Ingredients:

  • Sheriff's Lemon Pie Filling (told you it was easy!)


Meringue Ingredients:

  • 3 egg whites
  • 6 tbsp granulated sugar
  • pinch of cream of tartar


Method:

Preheat oven to 300˚.  

First, prepare the crust: Melt butter.  In medium-sized bowl, blend graham cracker crumbs and cinnamon.  Mix with melted butter.  Press into greased pie plate or, if you're making tarts/mini pies, into aluminum muffin cups. (Press crust mixture as you would for a cheesecake, along the bottom and slightly up the sides).  Bake crust(s) for approximately 15 minutes, then leave to cool.  


While the crust is cooling, lower the oven temperature to 250˚, and make the filling - it's easy (just follow the directions on the box)!  Remember to reserve the whites from the yolks that you're using in the filling!

Lastly, beat the egg whites, slowly adding sugar and cream of tartar, until the meringue peaks hold.  

Layer the filling over the crust, and top with meringue peaks. Bake until golden (approximately 20 minutes) and cool.  Refrigerate until ready to serve.