Saturday, 19 October 2013

Carol's Chicken Salad



Some of the simplest recipes are the best...and Mom's chicken salad is one of them.

As far back as I can remember, Mom would make this salad every year during Passover to use up the tons of leftover chicken.  Funny, we never thought of it as eating leftovers...it was just a treat that we always looked forward to Mom serving.  Looking back, I would have to say that my mother was a professional at making the ordinary seem extraordinary...a trick I am still working to master.  

Things are so hectic around here...the busiest and most pressured they've been for a while.  We are moving in November, and between: packing (a task I have done many times, but this time I am finding it particularly annoying); arranging for all services to be moved to the new house; and keeping up with all the usual pressures and time constraints of a young family with 2 working parents, meals are becoming a real challenge in our household.

Between the girls' schedules and our own, our standard "family meal-time" has dwindled from 7 nights a week to 4 or 5.  I know that 5 nights together each week is still a good thing...but hey, a girl can always strive for more, right?!

With all this rushing around, meals that take longer to prepare, like 1-pot roasted chicken (a Shabbat favourite), just haven't been on the menu lately.  I miss having left-over chicken to transform into something else, and so I jumped at the opportunity to take home turkey leftovers from the Bruni Thanksgiving celebration last weekend.

I had enough for 2 meals: turkey pot pie and turkey salad.  Becca was thrilled and Sara....well, Sara had other leftovers (she's not a fan - you can't win 'em all!).

This salad is great for so many reasons: it is healthy, is light but filling, and it calls for whatever ingredients you have handy in your refrigerator crisper!

I made a huge salad, served with hummus and pita on the side, and although I made extra for Becca's lunch the next day, every last bite was eaten and there were no leftovers to be had!

From my family to yours, I hope you enjoy this Chicken (or Turkey) Salad recipe as much as Becca and I do.

Until next time, I wish you a wonderful day filled with family, fun, friends and fantastic food.  B'Tayavon  and Buon Appetito!


Carol's Chicken Salad

Salad ingredients:

  • 1C-2C cooked chicken, cut into small bite-size pieces
  • 1 cucumber, diced
  • 5 celery stalks, diced
  • ½ yellow pepper, diced (you can use any colour pepper you like)
  • 3 green onions (or ¼C red onion), finely chopped
  • 1 head lettuce (iceberg or romaine), cut/torn in bite-size pieces
  • 2 - 3 radishes, cut into thin rounds

Dressing ingredients:
  • ½C mayonnaise 
  • ¼ -½ tsp onion powder (or to taste)
  • ¼ -½ tsp garlic powder (or to taste)
  • ¼ -½ tsp paprika (or to taste)
  • ¼ -½ tsp black pepper (or to taste)
  • ¼ -½ tsp salt (or to taste)
  • ¼ -½ dill (or to taste)
Method:
Combine all salad ingredients in large bowl.  You can add or omit any fresh veggies that you like to this salad.  In the spirit of the shitarein recipe (Yiddish for "thrown it in"), I just squeeze the mayonnaise on the salad, then sprinkle the seasonings over top, toss and serve.  If you prefer a more precise method, combine the dressing ingredients in a measuring cup, mix, add to salad and toss.  It's delicious either way!