Monday, 23 April 2012

Bubbie's Large Butter Cream Icing



Everything happens for a reason.  And this weekend was no exception.  Baking and busyness are great antidotes for my AD doldrums.


For the first time since Friday evening, I am sitting down and relaxing (and eating the decadent Chelsea buns I made earlier today).  Between baking, and running errands, celebrating my cousin Michael's 50th birthday, running more errands, chauffeuring the kids to their many commitments this weekend, and more baking, I have not had a minute to relax.  Not that I am complaining, I think I am happiest when I am busy.


As my FB subscribers already know (press here to fan our page), I volunteered to make cupcakes and meringues for the Dance Relay for Life in Aurora, taking place next month.  I knew it was going to be a hectic day today, so I set about baking yesterday.  I made the cupcakes (just plain white cake) and then I needed an icing for them.  I remembered seeing a recipe of Bubbie Lou's in Mom's cookbook, and finally -after going through the jumble of pages at least 3 times - I found it.


I followed the recipe to a "T" and then tested it on Becca and her best buddy...it was a little too runny.  As Bubbie Lou directed, I kept adding more and more icing sugar until the icing reached a consistency that I was happy with.  I iced 21 cupcakes, then topped them off with little sugar flowers.  Would you believe that I did not eat a single one!?!  It's true!  


I am thrilled to report that the cupcakes sold out quickly!  Hurray!  Bubbie Lou's icing passed the taste  test and even better, money was raised for a good cause.  Next year I will double or triple my efforts.  Apparently Mama's meringues were a huge hit!  So, I am a happy camper.  


Today, I realized that there were no cupcakes left for my family, so I whipped up another 24, and iced a few in honour of the upcoming Israel Independence Day.  Then I discovered it is inappropriate to get a head start on this celebration, as we still need to observe and commemorate Yom Hazikaron - Remembrance Day for our fallen soldiers.  So, the pictured cupcakes will have to get eaten quickly (somehow I do not think it will be a problem) and then I will ice another batch on Wednesday.




And now, I will leave you with the icing recipe, along with my suggestions. 

Until next time, I wish you a wonderful day filled with family, fun, friends and fantastic food.  B'Tayavon & Buon Appetito!


Bubbie Lou's Large Butter Cream Icing

Ingredients:
½ lb (8 oz or 1C) butter ** for a firmer consistency, use 4oz (or ½C) butter  and  4oz (or ½C) Crisco
2 eggs (I would reduce it to 1)
1C icing sugar 
1 tsp vanilla extract

Method:
Cream butter. Add egg(s), vanilla and icing sugar.  Blend at medium speed for 5 minutes.  Try 1 cup of sugar to start, and then add more sugar as needed until you reach the consistency you like.