Saturday, 12 July 2014

New Beginnings and New (Old) Approaches...

Image courtesy of sweetclipart.com

I haven't been writing much over the past 8 months...life has been so busy, between the move to a new house, my uncle Jim's sudden illness and passing, the kids' busy lives and a new baby joining our family, I have been consistently pulled in too many directions to be able to take the time to bake and try new recipes let alone write about them.

Now things are getting even busier, as I am planning on going back to school part-time in the fall, and upgrading my legal education - finally!  So, how does this fit in with blogging about Mom, food and trying new recipes?  Well, strangely enough, it does.

Last time I was in post-secondary school I had the luxury of living at home, under the protective and indulgent wing of my mother.  She ensured that my living conditions were ideal - all I had to do was go to work during the day and attend University in the evenings.  I studied on weekends. Everything else was taken care of for me.  How lucky I was!  Now, as Sara contemplates her own post-secondary choices, I keep offering her the same - work part-time and attend school full-time, and let me help you by taking care of the rest.  She is not convinced - yet.   But she still has a year to go, and in that year, she will have the added advantage of watching me go back to school, and juggle it all.  This should be interesting...for all of us...

I am already thinking ahead to meal planning - and preparing double recipes of dinners ahead of time that can be frozen and pulled out on a rotating schedule.  With everyone's busy lives I know that it will be necessary to have a meal plan - so we all know what to expect.  It's just simpler that way.  Haven't you ever found yourself racking your brain on the way home from work, trying to figure out what to make for dinner? A meal chart alleviates that stress from the mix.  So I am pulling out some of my tried and true resources from days gone by - including the list of meals that we all liked so I can start  to prepare and freeze.

In my old life, during the month off between semesters I would go on vacation with Diane and Mary, and read books for pleasure - so relaxing and decadent was I.  Now I am thinking that this will be the time that use to prepare & freeze meals and cookies and baking for the semester ahead.

Don't get me wrong.  Carlo and the kids are my biggest supporters.  They are really excited that I am taking the plunge, and have all pledged to help me with the "Mommy tasks" that I have always held a tight reign over - cooking, cleaning, etc..  And I know that much like my mother prepared me for the world, our beautiful daughters are already prepared to fly solo if they had to, but they really don't have to yet.

Actually, I see this as yet another opportunity for me to teach them some essential life lessons: that's it's never too late to follow your dreams (but more importantly, DO NOT cut them short when you're young); that things of value take hard work, effort and commitment; that if you want something done, give it to a busy person.   I am hoping to be a positive example for our daughters, am determined to succeed, and in doing so, I trust I will inspire them to reach for their own stars.

So, the sharing of new recipes may be fewer and farther between, but I think it's worth it...and who knows - we might even get Carlo to start writing about his recipes!

In the meantime, in the next couple of days I plan on posting a fantastic family recipe for perogies - it's perfect for making ahead and freezing (wink, wink, nudge, nudge) - that Grandma Rose (Uncle Jim's mother-in-law) shared with me when I was in Victoria this past January.  So stay tuned!

Until next time, I wish you all a wonderful weekend, filled with family, fun, friends and fantastic food.  B'Tayavon & Buon Appetito!