Wednesday, 28 September 2011

Happenstance Connections...Carol's Terrific Tsimmes

For me, Rosh Hashana is a time to reflect on the year that is coming to a close, and to look forward to all the possibilities of the year to come.  In reflecting, I am struck by what an amazing year it has been…in fact, what an amazing 2½ months its been! 

It all started a few months ago, when my friend Rosa asked (on FB) for suggestions on where she could find recipes for Shabbat dinner.  I suggested Meal-Lean-I-Yumm (no surprise) and included the link for Gourmania (http://www.gourmania.com/).  I never could have dreamed of the doors that would open because of an innocent online suggestion! 

Norene discovered more fans (Rosa, Aviva and I) and a connection was made.  Then, again, by chance, I sat down and started writing this blog.  I am not sure how it came to Norene’s attention, but she liked it – and the rest is history.  So Rosa, thank you for asking for Shabbat dinner recipes! 

About 2 months later, Norene was at a housewarming party where she met my friend, now our friend, Ellin.  I don’t know how my blog came up in conversation, but it did, and it gave Norene the idea to make mothers’ treasured recipes the focus of her upcoming feature for the Canadian Jewish News.   Can you imagine my surprise, excitement and disbelief when Norene invited me to share one of Mom’s recipes in her article?!?! 

Now came the hard part – which recipe?  Everything was so yummy, but it had to be something that stood out, that she made for the holidays…and then it hit me – her tsimmes! 

I should backtrack just a little - when she first read my blog, Diane - one of my oldest (though she is younger than I J) and dearest friends - told me I had to make sure to write about Mom’s tsimmes.  It has to be her all-time favourite dish, and one she learned from my mother long before I did, making it at her dinner parties.  The kicker is, Diane isn’t even Jewish…she is Italian Catholic, but still served it along with her more contemporary dishes, and it was a success. 

So, I shared Mom’s Tsimmes recipe with Norene, and she wrote a beautiful piece about Mothers CJN (22 Sep 11) pages 38 & 39).  Norene - thank you for giving my mother such a lovely acknowledgement, it is appreciated by all of us who love her Y.

And Diane, this entry is for you – see? - I keep my promises!  B’Tayavon and Buon Appetito!

Carol’s Terrific Tsimmes
Ingredients:
·         8 mdm sweet potatoes (peeled, boiled, mashed)
·         1 pkg of pitted prunes, halved
·         1 (19oz) can of crushed pineapple in juice
·         6-8 thin carrots, (cut in rounds)
·         4 tbsp brown sugar
·         1/2 tsp ginger powder
·         1/4 tsp white pepper
Method:  In large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients.  Place mixture in 2 2-litre casseroles, cover and refrigerate. It will keep this way for 48 hours. Bake, covered, for 1 hour at 350 degrees. Then uncover and bake for an additional 30 minutes. Once it is baked, it will keep for 3 to 4 days in the fridge.