Tuesday, 19 July 2011

What a Day!! A Recap and Thank You

What an amazing day it's been!  I decided that the only way to get people to view my blog was to ask...after all, "if you don't ask, you don't get"!  So, ask I did...I emailed many of my friends and acquaintances this morning, and asked them to please take a peek at my blog and spread the word if they found it interesting. Thank you Sara and Becca, my treasures, for encouraging me to press send on that email...then I found the courage to post the same request on my facebook status.

Within minutes, the emails started coming in...around 18 to 20 so far, and phone calls too!  Most people connected with my story, some remembered sitting in my mother's kitchen, indulging in the many treats she served up on a moment's notice, and all who knew her remembered her with warmth and fondness.  My recollections brought some to tears, which brought me to tears, and then I got the best call of them all!  My brother, David, called to report that he had read my blog and loved it!!!  In reading it, he was transported back to our childhood home, and our mother's kitchen.

When I didn't think things could get any better, I got the thrill of my day...and week!  My all-time favourite cookbook author, Norene Gilletz, gave my blog a thumbs up on Facebook!!!!!

Let me backtrack and explain.  The first cookbook my mother gave me, her go-to cookbook, was Second Helpings, co-authored by Norene Gilletz.  I grew up on many of the recipes in this book, and every one of them is absolutely delicious!  I make her mandel broyt recipe at least once a month, and I think this is one of the reasons Carlo married me :). 

As a young wife and mother I coveted Norene's Meal-Lean-I-Yumm Cookbook.  I never indulged in  buying it, and never mentioned wanting it to anyone.  One night, around the same time my mother first started presenting early Alzheimer's symptoms, she went to a cookbook signing event  and came home with 2 signed cookbooks; one for her and one for me.  It was Meal-Lean-I-Yumm!!  She had no idea I wanted the book, but she loved Norene's other cookbooks and decided to buy this one for us too.  I was thrilled, and immediately set out to try the recipes.  So continued my mother's and my culinary journey with Norene. 

Fast forward a couple of years...by which point I had assumed the role of family caterer and hostess for the Jewish holidays, using only Meal-Lean-I-Yumm to plan my menus. One night of Rosh Hashanah our family were guests of our friends, Ron and Leah for Yom Tov (holy day).  Leah generously presented me with Norene's then-latest cookbook, Norene's Healthy Kitchen.  OK - so by now you can imagine my reaction - if you guessed utterly thrilled, you guessed right! 

The only cookbook needed to round out my Norene collection was the Food Processer Bible, which is no longer in print.  When I went to my parents' home to pick up Mom's Golden Recipes (the basis for this blog), I also picked up Mom's copy of the original Food Processor Bible "The Pleasures of Your Food Processor".  And now my Norene collection is pretty much complete.

Phew!  Now that you have the back story, you can appreciate how excited I was to have Norene acknowledge and share my blog.  It is truly an honour for me.  :)

Then, I came back to my blog and discovered that there were over 200 page views today...unbelieveable!!  So...I thank each and every one of you who took the time to read my entries, and to comment here and on Facebook.  I am humbled, inspired and excited, and look forward to sharing this journey with you.