Tuesday, 17 January 2012

Cooking outside my comfort zone ... not so comfy!

Do you ever have one of those days where you feel like you are living an episode of Seinfeld?  Well, today would have to be that day for me. 

Over the weekend Sara was perusing my cookbooks and found one Mom had bought the girls years ago.  We were leafing through the pages and I got this crazy idea that I should try my hand at Chicken Curry...after all, how difficult could it be?  Well, sometimes you need to listen to your gut, and if that does not work - listen to your guy!  Mine is not a fan of curry. 

But everyone was supportive and said that they would try it...so after work I ran and picked up all the ingredients and excitedly started preparing the Chicken Curry.  Maybe I have been reading too many British novels lately, because I had this romanticized image in my head of my family all delightedly devouring this new delicacy.  Not the case...not even close!

First off, the chicken was splattering oil all over the place...grr...then the rice took forever to absorb the chicken stock...and Becca had to get to a makeup dance class...oy and vey.  When we finally sat down to dinner, I was greeted with 3 beautiful faces, each of which had a pasted on smile and a look of dread, as though I were serving them chalk or cod-liver oil for dinner!

Anyways, I must give them credit, they were all polite, and tried each dish.  Mid-way through dinner I asked Carlo what was wrong and he looked up at me innocently and said "I don't understand, why are you making all the foods I don't like?  I don't like eggplant and I don't like curry?".  The kids tried to be encouraging, but even they pointed out that I am a Jewish mother married to an Italian father and they thought it best if I stuck with what I know best - Jewish and Italian cooking! LOL!

In the end, Becca bounced off to dance class, Sara heated up some leftover Baba Ethels, and I bet you dollars to donuts Carlo went through the McDonald's drive-thru after dropping Becca at her class!

Tomorrow night will be a tried and true recipe...but I must leave you for now, and go rummage through the pantry for a snack before anyone sees me!

Until next time, I wish you a wonderful evening, filled with family, fun, friends and fantastic food!  B'Tayavon & Buon Appetito!