Tuesday, 9 August 2011

Becca is 10! Risotto Proupettes

It seems like just yesterday I was holding a 5 week preemie in my arms and Sara was introducing herself to her new baby sister "Hi, I'm your big sister Sara ...S-A-R-A". 

My mother loved to tell that story...marvelling at how clever her granddaughter was.  Well Mom, today our Becca turns 10...and how beautiful she is.  She has your love of music, piano and Beethoven, and tirelessly plays on your treasured piano...today being no exception.  And while it stormed outside, Sara made sure Becca's world was bright and sunny, painting her nails, and having a "sisters" day with her. 

True to my word, I made all her favourite dishes for her birthday dinner, following her menu request to the letter, using Carlo's home-grown produce, and now I am ready to fall into bed!

We had rapini, risotto proupettes, potato salad, Greek salad, cheesy garlic bread, sauteed banana peppers and pasta in a tomato sauce - all homemade, and all my mother's favourites.  Funny how much my Jewish family loves Italian cuisine!  So, while I must credit my mother-in-love with the recipes for almost all of tonight's dishes, I can still relate them to Mom, because she would devour this meal whenever I made it for her.  And....the Greek salad and cheesy garlic bread are take-offs on my mom's recipes. 

I've already blogged about Rapini a l'Antoinetta - on July 20th, for Lena's birthday - so let's move on to the risotto proupettes and the story behind that recipe.  There was an Italian restaurant beside our office, and we were friendly with the owner and his friends.  One day I came in to the restaurant and found Rino in the kitchen, whipping up the most delicious rice cakes!  He gave me his recipe off the top of his head, and I went home to make them that very night.  The only problem was that I could not remember the recipe and hadn't written it down...so, in typical Naomi style, I decided to wing it.  Here is my recipe for risotto proupettes...B'Tayavon and Buon Appetito!


Risotto Proupettes a la Naomi (honourable mention to Rino)

·         1C Arborio rice, cooked and drained
·         1 small onion, chopped
·         2 tbsp olive oil
·         1 egg
·         ¼ C milk
·         ¼ - ½ C grated parmesan cheese
·         3 tbsp chives
·         1 tsp salt
Method: Sauté chopped onion in olive oil.  In bowl, mix all ingredients and add cooked rice and sautéed onion.  Mixture should be a sticky consistency.  Heat oil in skillet, on medium-low heat.  Add cooking spoonfuls of mixture (using spatula to ease off cooking spoon), turning once when each side is golden brown.  Remove cooked proupettes from skillet and drain on paper towel in strainer.  Can serve warm or room temperature.  Will keep in fridge for 4-5 days...if they last that long!



Mixture...ready for the skillet!

Smell those proupettes! This is when the girls arrive for a "little taste"


The finished product....B'Tayavon & Buon & Appetito!